Martine Favret: victim prostheses Pip | Viva Press

Martine Favret: victim prostheses Pip
Martine Favret, one of thousands of victims of breast prostheses Pip, tells his story in a book.

Thirty-nine tons of non-conforming gel: this is what the inspectors of the French Agency for Sanitary Safety of Health Products (AFSSAPS) found March 17, 2010 in the premises of the company Poly Implant Prosthesis (Pip) La Seyne-sur-Mer in the Var. Immediately breast implants manufactured locally were withdrawn from the market and carriers should contact their physician as the product used by Jean-Claude Mas, the founder of Pip, is an unlicensed industrial gel, much cheaper than the gel medical. Approximately 30,000 women in France and 400,000 worldwide are concerned.

Martine Favret recalls: "I received a text message from my ex-husband told me that my surgeon was trying to reach me. He did not find me because I had moved and changed name after my divorce. MRI, we saw that the prosthesis broke my left breast. The silicone had spread everywhere. "

Last December, the Criminal Court sentenced Marseille Jean-Claude Mas to four years in prison and 75,000 euros fine for "deception proved." Martine Favret part of 4000 complainants. Eight months earlier, when the trial began, she was there: "I need to see the crook who poisoned us. He sacrificed us for money, I'll be angry all my life. "His rage, the retired La Poste fifty-five years was recorded in a book that just came out, Hearing Implants Poison  1 : "I wanted to write for it does not happen again, and then I was horrified to read comments on the internet almost insinuating that it was our fault because we had made ​​the breasts again to play bimbos. "

"I do not sleep and I cry"

Martine is part of the 20% of victims who had breast reconstruction for medical reasons supported by Medicare. "At twenty-three years, has made me nodules in the breasts, and a fibroadenoma. Then I had an infection and they brought me some of the mammary glands. A thirty-three years, I had ptosis, my breasts were completely empty, "says she. Martine underwent three reconstructions, the first two prostheses each being broken. She comes to learn that they also came from the company Pip. The third, those containing adulterated gel him were withdrawn 28 February 2011. "Surgeon scraped, dug into my flesh to remove all the silicone. Secu offered me other implants, but I said no. "
Today, Martine elected "super granny" of the Rhône-Alpes Region in 2012, fear. There is a year she woke up with impossible to raise left arm swollen. An MRI revealed the presence of a string of silicone on his pectoral muscle, which had to remove a piece. But this winter, his health deteriorated: "I developed an autoimmune disease, doctors suspect multiple sclerosis linked to toxic gel. My legs are stiff, I had to ask a flight of stairs in my house, my arms have lost sensitivity, I can not bear left nothing, I have loss of balance ... I feel have a sword of Damocles over the head. "Recently, a small tumor was detected on the right kidney. It is unclear whether it is benign or malignant, or if it is a silicone granuloma that has migrated. For the first time in his life, Martine Favret taking antidepressants, "if I do not sleep and I cry."
Jean-Claude Mas must pay him 7,800 euros for non-pecuniary damage. But Martine knows that before his arrest, the man held his insolvency to avoid the claims. She also wants health authorities: thousands of women have not yet removed their dentures lack of money, as only those who have had breast reconstruction for medical reasons, after breast cancer in particular, are reimbursed. The Ppp (Promising prostheses Pip) Association request the creation of a level comparable to those created in other health scandals compensation fund and has filed an appeal against the Minister of Health for discrimination in the treatment of victims. Especially, Martine criticizes government of failing to intervene earlier. Fraud was apparently raised in 2000 "Why did they blink? "Is she asks.